1 medium white onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/4 pound lean ground beef
1/8 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinammon
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 14-1/2 ounce cans dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
2 14-1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 14=1/2 ounce cans tomato sauce
- In s small bowl, mix together chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, cinammon, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and dark brown sugar.
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven.
- Add onions and seasonings to oil and cook for 7 minutes, until onions start to soften.
- Add minced garlic, stir, and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink (7-10 minutes), breaking meat up.
- Add drained and rinsed kidney beans and stir.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce as well as 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Combine well and bring to a simmer. Place lid on pot and let simmer for 45 minutes on medium-low.
Until next time, Kris