1 package Shishito peppers
1 pound lean ground beef
12 corn tortillas
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a drizzle for the peppers
2 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
light sour cream
sliced black olives
- In cast iron skillet, heat drizzle of olive oil.
- Remove tops and seeds from Shishito peppers.
- Place peppers and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt into hot cast iron skillet. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally while peppers blister. Remove peppers from skillet and set aside.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook together for 45 seconds.
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper and cook until meat is browned and crumbly.
- While meat is browning, chop peppers.
- Add peppers to meat mixture and cook together for 3-5 minutes.
- Heat corn tortillas in cast iron skillet.
- Place 2 tablespoons of meat mixture in center of tortilla, along with 1/2 tablespoon shredded cheese.
- Pour 1 cup of heated enchilada sauce into bottom of 9×13 glass dish. Place enchiladas, side by side, seam side down onto sauce until pan is filled.
- Scrape any extra meat over enchiladas and add the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top and bake for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Until next time, Kris