2 pound bag of sweet potatoes
1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup water, divided
1/2 cup non-fat milk
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus a few pinches for the onion, peas and carrots
1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, plus a few pinches for the onion, peas and carrots
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried thyme, plus a pinch
1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 bag frozen peas and carrots
4 tablespoons tomato paste
flat leaf parsley, for garnish
light sour cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, add sweet potatoes and 1/4 cup water. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave on high for 15 minutes.
- After the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel with a small paring knife. Discard peel, and cut potatoes into the same bowl. Add milk, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Whip with hand mixer or mash with potato masher.
- In a small dish, mix together kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, dried thyme and cinnamon.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion, along with a pinch of kosher salt and a pinch of pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes until onion starts to soften and brown.
- Add thawed peas and carrots to onion, sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt and a pinch of pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the same skillet and cook garlic for 45 seconds, just until it becomes fragrant. Add ground beef and seasonings and cook until browned and crumbly, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and 1/4 cup water and cook until liquid is absorbed and tomato is mixed into turkey.
- Add onion, peas and carrots back to the skillet with the turkey mixture and combine. Turn off heat.
- Spray the bottom of a 9×7 inch rectangular dish or 8 inch square dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread 1/3 of the whipped potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish and top with turkey mixture. Top with the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle a pinch of dried thyme and place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes are up, turn the broiler to high for 5 minutes, or until the top starts to brown and form a little crust.
- Garnish with parsley and a dollop of sour cream.
Until next time, Kris