3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, cut into quarter rounds
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
2 green peppers, chopped in 1/2 inch chunks
1/4 cup apricot jam
1/3 cup dried apricots, diced
1/2 cup dried berry blend (or golden raisins)
28-1/2 ounce can tomato puree
15-1/2 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- Place flour and chicken in ziplock bag and toss to coat.
- Heat olive oil and brown chicken for 8 minutes (5 minutes first side, 3 minutes second side). Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Cook onion in skillet for 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cumin cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons kosher salt to a dish and mix.
- Add garlic and seasonings to onion and cook 45 seconds.
- Stir in tomato puree, apricot jam, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir.
- Add chicken and juices that were collected on the plate back into the skillet. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in green peppers, berries, apricots and garbanzo beans. Cook for 15 minutes, until peppers are softened.
- Garnish with slivered almonds and parsley.
Until next time, Kris