1 whole chicken, spatchcocked
1 medium onion, sliced in half rounds
2 fennel bulbs, sliced
16 ounces fresh dates, pits removed
3 lemons, sliced thin
1/2 cup white wine
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus a drizzle
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling on the chicken
1/2 teaspoon pepper, plus more for sprinkling on the chicken
4 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed from stems and minced
4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed (no need to mince)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle under side of spatchcocked chicken with salt and pepper and turn over. Pat chicken skin dry with paper towel and rub with a drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper over skin. Add rosemary and thyme to chicken and set aside.
- Remove pits from dates and slice lemons. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in cast iron skillet. Add onions and fennel and cook until they start to caramelize.
- Add wine to skillet. Next add dates and lemon slices.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables and fruit, sticking a few lemon slices on top of chicken.
- Place in oven for 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken. Start checking the temperature of the meat after 45 minutes.
Until next time, Kris