2-1/2 pound boneless chuck roast
1/8 cup flour
freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
6 celery stalks
1 head garlic
16 ounces Cremini mushrooms
3-4 russet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Peel and cut carrots into chucks. Cut celery into chunks and dice onion. Slice leeks into half rounds, peel and roughly chop garlic.
- Pat meat dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Dredge in flour on all sides.
- Heat oil and butter in Dutch oven and add meat. Brown on all sides, approximately 5 minutes per side. Remove meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add carrots, onion, leek, celery and garlic to Dutch oven and cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes, until vegetables start to soften.
- Add chicken stock, wine, brandy and mushrooms to pot. Bring to a slight boil.
- Place rosemary bundle and roast into Dutch oven. Cover and place in oven for 2-1/2 hours. When there is one hour left in cooking, add the potatoes, plus a teaspoon of kosher salt. Gently push them into the liquid, return the cover and place the Dutch oven back into the oven for the last hour.
Until next time, Kris