2 pound extra lean ground beef (96% lean)
9-12 whole wheat lasagne noodles, depending on your pan size
1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes (whole)
1 14-1/2 ounce diced roma tomatoes
1 14-1/2 ounce can tomato sauce
2 6 ounce cans tomato paste
1/2 cup Cabernet Sauvignon wine
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
12 slices part skim mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
32 ounces ricotta cheese
basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook lasagne noodles. Set aside on large sheet pan, separating layers with foil sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Add ground beef to a large skillet or Dutch oven. Add 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook until browned and crumbly. Drain the fat and place the meat back into the skillet.
- Simultaneously, while meat is browning, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a smaller skillet. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook 45 seconds. Add to skillet with meat.
- Pour in tomatoes, tomato sauce, and wine. Add seasonings and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Mix ricotta cheese with eggs and set aside.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread one cup of meat sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Add three-four noodles. Spread enough ricotta mixture to cover all of noodles, being careful not to spread to thin. Lay 6 slices of mozzarella on top of ricotta. Add half of meat mixture and spread. Top with 1/4 cup grated parmesan.
- Repeat Step a (under 7).
- Top with 3-4 noodles and add shredded mozzarella.
- Spray the inside of a piece of tin foil with non-stick cooking spray and cover baking dish.
- Place in preheated 375 degree oven for 50 minutes. After 25 minutes, remove foil.
Until next time, Kris