3-5 pound beef roast
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 large onion
1 head garlic
1 pound white mushrooms
2 cups beef stock
1 cup red wine
4-6 rosemary sprigs
4-6 thyme sprigs
28-1/2 ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes
1 pound Dutch potatoes
- Sprinkle roast with kosher salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in insert to crock pot. If you don’t have a crock pot with an insert that you can brown in, use a Dutch oven for browning your vegetables and meat.
- Cut onion in half and then into thick slices. Cut carrots into chunks, without peeling. Remove stems from mushrooms, leaving mushroom caps whole. Peel and smash garlic. You can smash the garlic with the handle of a large knife or a mallet.
- Brown onion for 4-5 minutes, until it starts to soften and brown. Remove to a plate.
- Place carrots into crockpot and cook for 4 minutes. Add garlic to carrots and cook for one minute. Remove to the plate with the onion.
- If crockpot is dry, add another tablespoon of olive oil, along with a tablespoon of butter. Brown meat on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to plate with vegetables.
- Add beef stock and wine to crockpot. Place onion and carrots into crock pot, topping with meat. Nestle meat into liquid. Add mushrooms to the top of the meat, spooning some of the liquid over the mushrooms.
- Place sprigs of rosemary and thyme over the top.
- Add tomatoes, crushing with your hands as you add to the crockpot. Add all juice from the can.
- Set crockpot insert into crock pot on counter, place lid on top and set to cook on low for 8 hours.
- Cut potatoes into large chunks.
- With two hours to go in the cooking time, add the potatoes into the crockpot.
Until next time, Kris