- 4 large portobello mushrooms, save stems to chop
- 1-1/2 pound sweet Italian sausages
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a drizzle
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- freshly shredded parmesan for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1/8 cup bread crumbsDirections
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove stems and black gills from underside of mushroom. Toss gills and chop stems. Place mushrooms on parchment paper on a large sheet pan. Tops down.
- Roughly chop onion and garlic. Place into the bowl of a mini food processor, along with mushroom stems and chop until well minced. Set aside.
- Remove sausages from casings and brown in olive oil in a large skillet, adding kosher salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook until sausage is no longer pink in the middle, 5-7 minutes. Add vegetable mixture to skillet, along with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add chopped parsley and grated parmesan. Mix together.
- Spoon mixture into mushrooms and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 18 minutes.
Until next time, Kris