1-1/4 – 1-1/2 pounds sweet Italian chicken sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a drizzle
1 medium sweet, yellow onion, diced
2 cups of diced carrots
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup white wine
2 cans Canellini beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup grated parmesan, plus more for serving
2 bunches kale
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven. Add chicken sausages and brown on both sides. Transfer to a pan and place into a preheated 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- In same pan you cooked sausages, add onion, carrots, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and cook until vegetables are starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook no longer than 1 minute.
- Add drained beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste to Dutch oven. Pour chicken broth and wine into pot and stir.
- Place kale into pot, along with 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoons pepper, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Stir.
- Add grated parmesan and stir again. Turn heat to low and let simmer for 15-30 minutes.
- Place sliced, cooked sausages into pot and combine into bean mixture. Serve in bowls with freshly shaved and grated parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
Until next time, Kris