17-18 corn tortillas
1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (96/4)
1 each – green, yellow, and orange bell pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
4 ears of corn
2-1/2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can sliced black olives
2 14-1/2 ounce cans fat free refried beans, heated
2 14-1/2 ounce cans no salt added diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on your likes)
2 12-ounce containers of salsa verde
8 ounce can sliced black olives
light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together chili powder, paprika, onion powder, oregano, cumin, kosher salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Remove corn from cob into bowl and set aside.
- Brown beef on medium-high until browned and crumbly. Add onion, peppers and corn. Stir together.
- Pour cans of tomatoes into beef mixture and reduce heat to medium. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Heat tortillas over open flame on gas burner (watch them carefully). If you don’t have a gas stove, heat them in a skillet or the microwave. Set aside.
- Start building lasagne. Place first 6 tortillas in bottom of a 9×13 pan, overlapping a tad and letting them come up the side of the pan about 1/2 inch.
- Spread 1 cup of refried beans onto bottom layer of tortillas. Top beans with 2-1/2-3 cups of the meat mixture. Pour 1/4 cup of green verde salsa over beef. Sprinkle several olives over beef and top with 1 cup of Monterey Jack.
- Repeat – tortillas, beans, beef mixture, salsa, black olives.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar to top the second layer.
- Top the dish with 5-6 tortillas. Pour 1/2 cup of green salsa over the tortillas and top with a mixture of 1/2 cup each shredded Monterey Jack and shredded cheddar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top individual servings with sour cream, salsa, black olives and cilantro.
Until next time, Kris