2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried orange peel
zest and juice of 2 limes
zest and juice of 1 lemon
8 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups carrots, chopped
1 cup white onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeños, diced, seeds removed
2 14-1/2 ounce cans, low sodium black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 14-1/2 ounce cans, no salt added diced tomatoes
3 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
2 teaspoons pepper (divided)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
shredded pepper jack cheese
light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chicken on a large baking sheet. Pierce several holes with a paring knife over the top of the chicken.
- Squeeze the lemon and lime juice over the chicken. Sprinkle the zest onto the chicken.
- Mix together kosher salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon and dried orange peel in a small bowl. Sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
- Place chicken in oven to roast for 35 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- If making chicken in advance, let cool and wrap in foil. Place in refrigerator until using for soup. If making on the same day as you are making the soup, shred when it is cool enough to handle.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven. Add carrots, onion, jalapeños and 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, chili powder, cumin and oregano and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 45 seconds.
- Pour chicken broth into pot. Add beans, tomatoes and chicken, along with 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and let simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Until next time, Kris