- 3 large eggplant
- olive oil, for brushing pan
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmessan, plus more for pan and sprinkling over eggplant when layering
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 1 28-ounce can whole, peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 25-ounce jar marinara
- 2-1/2 cups shredded mozarella
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two large sheet pans with parchment paper and brush with oil.
- Whisk three eggs and three tablespoons water in one shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, grated parmesan, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- Peel and slice eggplant into 1 inch rounds. Dip each slice into egg and then breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides. Place onto sheet pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes on first side, turn and bake another 32 minutes on second side.
- Coat 9×12 baking dish with non-stick spray and sprinkle with grated parmesan. Add 1/3 jar of the marinara to the bottom of the pan.
- Place first layer of eggplant into pan, topping with fresh spinach and a sprinkling of grated parmesan. Add San Marzano tomatoes and top with 1-1/4 cups of mozarella. Top with another layer of eggplant, a sprinkling of parmesan and cover with remaining marinara. Add the remainder (1-1/4 cups) of mozzarella and place in oven for 30-40 minutes until browned.
- Sprinkle fresh basil over eggplant parmesan. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
Until next time, Kris