Dennis and I were out running errands and enjoying a nice Saturday a couple weeks ago. and we decided to stop at Pei Wei for a quick lunch. Dennis chose to try a new menu item of theirs, Teriyaki Steak Tacos. These tacos also come in Korean Barbecue Chicken Tacos and Sweet Chili Shrimp Tacos. He really enjoyed this menu item, so the next time we were at Pei Wei, I tried the chicken tacos. These tacos were so good, I just had to try and make something similar myself. The tacos were light and seemed on the healthy side, which is always a plus for me when I’m choosing something off a menu for lunch or dinner.
I bought a package of thinly sliced chicken breasts and seasoned them with kosher salt, pepper, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, a Pasilla pepper that I had cut into strips and a cup of Asian Honey BBQ Sauce/Marinade. I let it sit for an hour to marinate and then roasted the chicken in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.
While my chicken was marinating, I shredded a cucumber and carrot on my box grater and set aside. I sliced an 1/8 of a red onion very thin and set it aside with the cucumber and carrot. I then chopped cilantro and set it aside.
Next, I cut the chicken up into strips to place in our small corn/wheat taco shells.
I built my taco by first adding the chicken. Next, I added the shredded cucumber, shredded carrots, thinly sliced red onion and cilantro.
I drizzled a bit of Asian Honey Barbecue Sauce over the tacos before serving.
These tacos were very fresh tasting and they were very healthy.
4 thin chicken breasts
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 Pasilla Pepper, cut into thin strips
1 cup Asian Honey Barbecue Sauce/Marinade
1 cucumber, shredded
1 large carrot, shredded
5 slices of red onion, sliced very thin
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Place chicken in a glass dish and sprinkle both sides of each breast with salt and pepper. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, along with the Pasilla Chili Pepper and Asian honey barbecue sauce.
- Place in refrigerator to marinate for 1-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Move chicken to baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes (pouring any extra marinade from the dish over the chicken).
- On a box grater, shred cucumber and carrot. Slice red onion.
- Chop cilantro.
- Warm tortillas in microwave before putting your tacos together.
Until next time, Kris