Today is Tuesday, which to some people means “Taco Tuesday”. I wanted Mexican tonight, but not tacos … fajitas. I figured I could wait until Friday and make a “Fajita Friday” dinner, or yesterday we could have had “Mexican Monday”, but went with my idea for fajitas on a Tuesday.
I roasted a few chicken breasts with a seasoning mix I made with kosher salt, chipotle chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and dried orange peel.
This seasoning would be good on chicken even if you weren’t having fajitas. I think it would also be good on flank steak … it was really yummy. I first drizzled my chicken breasts with olive oil before sprinkling on the seasoning mix. Once the chicken was done, I shredded it for the fajitas.
While the chicken was roasting, I cut a yellow, green, and red pepper into strips, as well as an onion. I sautéd them in olive oil, salt and pepper.
I love the bright and vibrant colors in the pepper, onion mix. It looked so fresh to me!
My daughter, Kylie, loved this dinner so much, she has asked me to add it to the cookbook I’m writing for her. I’ll gladly do that!
3-4 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons olive oil (1 tablespoon for chicken and 2 for peppers and onions)
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow onion, cut into strips
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon for vegetables
1 teaspoon pepper for vegetables
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel
shredded cheese (your choice – I used white cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix together seasonings (kosher salt, chipotle chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and dried orange peel) in a small bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil on chicken and sprinkle seasonings over chicken breasts.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Cut peppers and onions into strips.
- Place vegetables in sauté pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil and cook until vegetables soften.
- Shred cooked chicken.
- Warm tortillas.
- Build fajitas with chicken, vegetables and top with sour cream, shredded cheese and salsa.
Until next time, Kris
2 Comments Add yours
Yum! Chicken fajitas are the best. TFS
LikeLiked by 1 person
They sure are, so yummy!