Dennis has to leave for the East Coast for meetings this morning so thought I would make some muffins for him and his colleague to enjoy on their drive to LAX (why he just can’t fly out of San Diego is beyond me). It is our 30th anniversary today … wow, how time flies! I couldn’t let him leave town without making him a little sweet treat to bring with him.
Dennis feels awful that he has to travel on our anniversary. I told him, these things happen, not to worry. We will celebrate when he returns. That gives us something to look forward to at the end of the week.
I bought a bottle of orange extract yesterday and really wanted to use it. Choosing to use it in this muffin recipe turned out to be a great idea.
I mixed flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. To that, I added a slightly beaten egg, milk, melted butter, dried cranberries, dried orange peel and the orange extract. (Let me just say, that orange extract smells so good when you are baking with it!) To the top of the muffins, I added slivered raw almonds.
I hope Dennis enjoys his sweet treat and that he has a safe flight and successful meetings. Happy Anniversary to my best friend, it’s been a wonderful 30 years!
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons dried orange peel
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1-1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line muffin pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, dried orange peel and sugar in a bowl.
- Add egg, milk, melted butter and orange extract and stir just enough to dampen the flour. Do not over mix.
- Spoon into muffin pans (I like to use an ice cream scoop. This is something I learned from Ina Garden to ensure all muffins are the same size.)
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
Until next time, Kris