There were a couple packages of Jiffy corn muffin mix in my pantry, as well as a package of Smoked Andouille Chicken sausages in my freezer.
I decided to come up with a “casserole” that would incorporate both of these items last night for dinner. Jalapeños sounded like a good addition to this dish, along with shredded pepper jack cheese, garlic, shallots, and sun-dried tomatoes.
It took two packages of the corn muffin mix to make this casserole. I prepared the mix, per the instructions on the box, in a glass bowl (the box called for 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk … which I doubled since I used two packages). To the combined mix, I added kosher salt, pepper, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes before adding the jalapeños, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Next, I incorporated the cooled sausages links (that I had cut into 1 inch pieces) and mixed them in. I then added 1 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese to the mixture and stirred everything together one last time.
Spray an 8 x 10 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour the mixture into the dish.
The oven was preheated to 400 degrees when I placed the dish in to bake. I baked my casserole for 30 minutes, until the top was golden brown.
I served my casserole with a side of broccoli and dinner was ready! This had a nice kick to it, the spices mixed with the andouille sausage and all the other mix-ins came together just perfectly.
2 packages Jiffy corn muffin mix
2/3 cup milk
2 packages smoked andouille chicken sausages
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 jalapeños, diced (seeds and membrane removed)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 shallots, minced
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sausages on a sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together corn muffin mix, milk and eggs.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes, stir together.
- Add jalapeños, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and shallots to bowl and stir.
- Cut sausages each into 5 pieces, add to bowl and combine.
- Mix shredded cheese into mix.
- Spray an 8×10 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour mix into dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until top is golden brown.
Until next time, Kris