Last week was Dennis’ softball team’s first game of the fall season. The Fast & Furious is back in full swing, literally. I decided I’d make a couple batches of cookies to send to the field with Dennis. Apparently, the guys liked the cookies … every cookie was gone, which was just what I was hoping for!
Sweetened coconut strips and chocolate chunks sounded like a great blend for a cookie, so that’s what I decided to make. You can definitely use unsweetened shredded coconut if you choose. Kylie was telling me that she loves the coconut strips that Trader Joe’s sells and asked if I could use those for the cookies. If you use the strips, make sure to cut them into small pieces for your cookies.
I started with my original chocolate chip cookie recipe, adding the chocolate chunks and coconut strips to make it a chocolate chunk coconut cookie.
In a bowl, I combined all-purpose flour, kosher salt and baking powder. In the bowl of my electric mixer, I creamed together a Crisco butter flavored baking stick, dark brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla until creamy. Once the butter and sugars were mixed, I added two jumbo eggs, one at a time, mixing after each was added. I slowly added the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. I then stirred the chocolate chunks and coconut into the mix. I like a crispy cookie and learned that placing the dough in the refrigerator to chill will ensure my cookies will not spread as much when baking and will come out more crispy. You can chill the cookie dough for 24-36 hours if you have the time … I highly recommend if you have the time! I was making cookies for the same day, so chilling my dough for several hours would have to do and worked out just fine.
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup Crisco butter flavored sticks (1 stick)
2 jumbo eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chunks
1 cup sweetened coconut strips (cut into small pieces)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, kosher salt and baking power. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or separate bowl if not using an electric mixer), cream together Crisco butter stick, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix.
- Stir in chocolate chunks and chopped coconut.
- Place dough into refrigerator for 3-5 hours, or as much as 36 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Until next time, Kris