Since it’s Monday night football, and the Packers are playing – and the Brewers are playing in the playoffs against the Dodgers, I thought it would be a good night for a homemade pizza. Go Packers! Go Brewers! How can both our favorite teams be playing on the same night, at the same time?!
I found a new pizza crust at Trader Joe’s and it’s like a big flatbread. I grabbed it a couple weeks ago and threw it in the freezer because I knew I’d want to make a homemade pizza with all the great football and baseball games to watch. I really like this new crust by Trader Joe’s. A big plus for me, besides the taste, was that the crust has just 150 calories for 1/4 of the crust, which I don’t think is bad at all.
I started out by baking 3/4 pound of chicken tenders that I seasoned with kosher salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes before brushing it with barbecue sauce. I baked the tenders at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
While the chicken was baking, I sliced 1/3 of a red onion, 3 jalapeños – removing the seeds, and shredding close to 1/3 pound of gruyere cheese. Once the chicken was done and had cooled a couple minutes so I could handle it, I cut it into bite size pieces.
I spread some barbecue sauce onto the crust and simply topped it with the cheese, onion, jalapeños and chicken and placed it into a preheated 425 degree oven for 12 minutes.
Once it was done, I sprinkled freshly minced cilantro over the top for garnish.
This pizza had a nice kick to it, without being too hot. There was definitely a lot of flavor in this one – and that’s a good thing :).
1 flatbread pizza crust
3/4 pound chicken tenders (approximately 1-1/2 cups)
1/3 pound gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4-1/3 red onion, sliced
3 jalapeños, sliced (seeds removed, if desired)
- Sprinkle tenders with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Brush with 1/8 cup barbecue sauce.
- Place tenders in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Once chicken is done, raise oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Cut cooked chicken tenders into bite size pieces.
- Spread 1/2 cup barbecue sauce onto flatbread. Top with shredded cheese, sliced onion, jalapeños and cooked chicken.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 12 minutes.
- Top with minced cilantro.
Until next time, Kris