This may just be my favorite chicken recipe that I’ve come up with! I actually came up with this recipe while chatting with my sister on the phone. We were chatting and laughing, having a great time. I love the phone calls with my sister! It seems they mostly happen on a Sunday late afternoon, early evening. She is very busy during the week with her career, so I try to leave her alone in the evenings so she can catch her breath and just relax.
I knew I wanted to make breaded chicken breasts for dinner tonight and I was throwing together spices the whole time we were chatting. At one point while we were chatting, I needed to quickly write down what I’d put together so I’d be able to share this recipe with you all. To the flour, I ended up adding Sicilian seasoning, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a very small amount of ground mustard.
Two tablespoons of dijon mustard were whisked together with two eggs, as part of my dredging station. I had three bowls in which to dip my breasts into. The first was the flour mixture, second was the egg mixture, and third was Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Before I coated the chicken with bread crumbs, I wrapped them each in two slices of prosciutto.
Once the chicken breasts were all dipped and dredged, I laid them on a baking sheet fitted with a rack.
I baked the chicken in a preheated 425 degree oven for 30 minutes. The chicken was done once the internal temperature reached 165 degrees.
I let the chicken rest for 10 minutes and then topped each breast with a handful of arugula. I think arugula makes every meal look a little prettier. Once the arugula was on the chicken I drizzled a small amount of olive oil and and the juice of half a lemon over the top, as well as the zest of half a lemon plus a pinch each of kosher salt and pepper.
Dennis loved this chicken! He’s quite happy that I made enough for him to take for lunch tomorrow.
4 thin sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 slices prosciutto
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Sicilian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 lemons (1/2 per breast)
Drizzle of olive oil
Pinch of kosher salt
Pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Set up dredging station:
- In first bowl, whisk together egg and dijon mustard.
- In second bowl, mix together flour, Sicilian seasoning, ground mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and pepper.
- In third bowl, pour breadcrumbs.
- Cover chicken lightly, but completely with flour mixture.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture.
- Wrap 2 slices prosciutto around each breast.
- Cover chicken with breadcrumbs.
- Place on pan with rack and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Let chicken rest for 10 minutes.
- Cover chicken with arugula, lemon zest, drizzle of olive oil, juice of 1/2 lemon, salt and pepper.
Until next time, Kris