Everyone’s heard of chicken and waffles, right? I decided to make a savory waffle for dinner and decided I’d add my savory flavors to the waffle mix. Dennis had to eat very simple and plain today, so I knew I’d be making pancakes or waffles for him and Kylie, but wanted something a little jazzed up for myself … something I could blog about for all of you.
I minced half a jalapeño and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, and two slices of cooked bacon. I started with a store bought waffle mix and added to that. I followed the directions on the package, adding dried oregano, cumin, kosher salt, and sunflower nuts and the above mentioned ingredients.
I mixed everything together and cooked my waffles in my waffle iron. My parents bought this waffle iron for me years ago and it definitely has gotten a lot of use!
I knew I’d need a little “sauce” on my waffle, but wasn’t sure about straight-up maple syrup (however, I think that would have worked just fine). I stirred together 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and 3 dashes of jalapeño hot sauce and poured that over the waffle. I placed a few spoonfuls of goat cheese and a sprinkle of minced jalapeño on top of my waffle before pouring the syrup/hot sauce over the waffle.
packaged waffle mix
1/2 jalapeño, diced, seeds removed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dried, not in oil), chopped
2 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon, feel free to use your favorite)
2 tablespoons sunflower nuts
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
(below – for maple syrup/hot sauce, this amount is per waffle, increase it if you are serving more than one waffle)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 dashes hot sauce
- Bake bacon in 400 degree oven for 25 minutes or until done to desired crispness.
- Mix waffle mix per package instructions.
- Add oregano, cumin and kosher salt and stir into mix.
- Add jalapeño, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, bacon and sunflower nuts to mix and combine.
- Heat waffle iron.
- Spray iron with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour 3/4 cup mix onto hot iron and cook until done (light will turn green when your waffle is ready).
- Mix maple syrup and hot sauce.
- Drop a couple spoonfuls of goat cheese onto waffle, along with minced jalapeño (as much or as little as you like).
- Drizzle syrup/hot sauce over waffle.
Until next time, Kris