Don’t we all love ranch dressing, at least to some extent? Maybe it brings back memories of being a kid, or of our own kids … everything seems to taste better dipped in ranch – carrots, celery, chicken nuggets, French fries, I could go on and on, but you get the picture.
Tonight for dinner, I decided to marinate chicken breasts in a dip I made by combining plain Greek yogurt, a package of ranch dressing mix, minced garlic, minced shallots, and minced chives.
I started by piercing the chicken in several spots with a small, sharp paring knife. (I like to do this because I feel it lets a little more flavor seep into the meat). I then sprinkled the breasts with kosher salt and pepper (both sides).
I placed large dollops of my ranch dip mixture over the chicken and spread it around before placing it into the refrigerator for an hour and a half to marinate.
After I pulled the chicken out of the refrigerator, I placed it on a rack on my baking sheet and baked it in a preheated 425 degree oven for 45 minutes. Depending on the size of your chicken breasts, this may take only 30-35 minutes. I didn’t realize quite how large my breasts were until I pulled them from the package. Let’s just say that with four chicken breasts, we have enough for the week!
After the chicken baked for the allotted time, I turned the oven to broil and broiled the chicken for 3 minutes.
Marinating with Greek yogurt really helps to keep the chicken moist. I served the chicken over a bed of sautéd balsamic spinach.
It’s funny, you start out with a bag of spinach that looks like it could feed your entire block, but really only feeds a few.
I made sure to mince a few extra chives to use for garnish on the chicken. This chicken dish was definitely a hit with Dennis, he really enjoyed it and is looking forward to eating it again for lunch tomorrow … and the next day, and the next day!
Give this one a try, I think you’ll like it!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, plus more for garnish
- 1 package dry Ranch dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Make small slits in chicken and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- In bowl, combine yogurt, ranch dressing mix, garlic, shallots and chives. Mix well.
- Spread yogurt mixture over chicken and marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chicken on rack on baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Sprinkle additional minced chives over chicken before serving.
Until next time, Kris