I have a great recipe for your Taco Tuesday, or any other night of the week. This shredded pork can be used in mini street tacos, burritos, on a salad, on a bun … you name it. I think you can eat this in so many ways and I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to make it for a dinner party, casual or otherwise … depending on how you serve it.
To make the shredded pork, I used a 3 pound boneless pork shoulder roast. I patted the roast dry with a paper towel and set it aside.
I then mixed together several things to use as a spice rub on my pork … chili powder, cumin, oregano, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and dried grated orange peel. I mixed all of these together in a small bowl and then rubbed it over the entire roast – top, bottom and sides.
After laying the rings of a red onion I had sliced on the bottom of my slow cooker, I placed the seasoned roast on top.
To the slow cooker, I added 3/4 cup of Tequila, 1/4 cup of orange juice, the zest of two limes and one orange and the juice of two limes and two oranges, and two jalapeños I sliced (I removed the seeds from the jalapeños, but feel free to use them if you’d like extra the heat). When you are adding the juice of your orange, make sure some of the pulp falls into the pot as well. It will just add to the flavor.
I set my slow cooker to cook on low for 8 hours and that was it! It was super easy to prepare this dinner. All I needed to do before serving was heat my corn tortillas over the gas burner on my stove and prepare the toppings for our tacos.
This was so good! It does pack a bit of a punch, which I really like.
Boneless pork shoulder roast
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried orange peel
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 red onion, sliced
2 jalapeños, sliced (seeds removed if desired)
two limes, zest and juice
two oranges, zest of two and juice of one
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup Tequilla
Mini street soft taco shells (any type you like)
Toppings – diced red onion, cilantro and avocado
- Remove pork from package and pat dry with a paper towel. Set on plate.
- Mix together chili powder, orange peel, cumin, oregano, kosher salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Rub over entire roast.
- Place sliced red onion in bottom of slow cooker. Place seasoned roast on top.
- Add Tequila and orange juice to slow cooker. Add the zest of the limes and orange, along with the juice of the limes and orange.
- Place sliced jalapeños over pork, cover the slow cooker and set to cook for 8 hours on low.
- Once the pork is done, take two forks and shred the meat. Do this right in the slow cooker, so it stays in the juice.
Until next time, Kris