For a low carb dinner option tonight, I made pork lettuce wraps for my husband and me. He absolutely loved them as did I!
I started by browning a pound of ground pork, seasoned with kosher salt and pepper. To the cooked pork, I added onion, carrots, red pepper and jalapeño. I let the vegetables cook until they had started to soften slightly, about 5 minutes. I then added a cup of broccoli slaw from a package I picked up at the market and 4 cloves of minced garlic. After 30 seconds, I added the zest and juice of two limes which added a little brightness to the pork mixture. Next, I added hoisin sauce, soy sauce sweet chili sauce and rice vinegar. I mixed everything together, adding a pinch of red pepper flakes and a tablespoon of dried orange peel. I let the pork cook on low for about 5 minutes and in that time, I got my butter lettuce and toppings ready.
1 pound ground pork
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, cut into half rounds
3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin slices, and then cut each slice into thirds
1 red pepper, sliced into thin slices and then cut each slice into thirds
1 jalapeño, seeds removed and cut into thin slices, then cut each slice in half
2 limes, zest and juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup broccoli slaw
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon dried orange peel
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add pork, salt and pepper. Cook until browned and crumbly, 5-7 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots, red pepper and jalapeño. Cook 5 minutes. Add broccoli slaw and garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add zest and juice of limes.
- Add hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and rice vinegar, mix together. Sprinkle red pepper flakes and dried orange peel, combine.
- Turn to medium-low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve on butter lettuce leaves and top with chopped peanuts, basil and scallions.
Until next time, Kris