This pesto had such great color. It looked so fresh, which also made it look so healthy to me as well. I made a batch of pesto to pour over chicken for tonight’s dinner.
I made my pesto using 3-1/2 cups of fresh basil, 1 entire head of garlic, 3/4 cup of walnuts, grated parmesan, olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
I started by adding the walnuts and garlic cloves to my food processor. Next, I gave my basil a rough chop before adding it to the food processor. Then, the kosher salt, pepper and red pepper flakes went in. Once I processed the walnuts, basil, garlic and seasonings together, I kept the processor running while I slowly poured olive oil through the feed tube. I let this process together until a paste was formed. I then added the grated parmesan and processed everything together for another half minute or so.
I then placed my chicken breasts into a glass dish and poured the pesto over the top. I had poked little holes into the meat with a sharp knife so some of the pesto would seep in.
Before roasting the chicken, I placed it on a large sheet pan with a rack in it. I cooked the chicken for 40 minutes at 425 degrees.
- 4 boneless, skinkless chicken breasts
For the pesto
3-1/2 cups fresh basil
3/4 cup walnuts
1 head garlic (9-12 cloves)
1-1/2 cups olive oil
grated parmesan cheese
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Chop basil and place in food processor.
- Add walnuts and garlic to food processor.
- Add seasonings to food processor and process for a minute or so, until all is blended together.
- Slowly drizzle oil through feed tube on food processor, while the processor is on.
- Add parmesan and process for about 30 seconds.
- Pour over chicken.
- Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 425 degrees.
Until next time, Kris