I couldn’t resist these beautiful heirloom tomatoes at the market yesterday. I buy mini heirloom tomatoes every week at Trader Joe’s. Yesterday, while I was doing my shopping at Sprout’s, I walked past these beautiful tomatoes and immediately turned back and grabbed four. I knew there was something I could use them for and I was right.
I’m going to serve them as a side dish to my pesto chicken tonight. I cut each tomato into 2-3 slices (1/2 inch thick each). I sprinkled kosher salt and freshly ground pepper over each tomato slice before shaving shards of parmesan over each.
I then mixed together 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and 3 tablespoons olive oil to spoon over each tomato slice.
I baked the tomatoes in a preheated 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- pinch of kosher salt, per tomato slice
- pinch of fresh ground pepper, per tomato slice
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan shards
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut each tomato into 2-3 slices (1/2 inch thick each).
- Lay on a rack in a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each slice with salt and pepper.
- Shred parmesan into shards and place several on each tomato slice.
- Mix bread crumbs with olive oil.
- Spoon bread crumb mixture over each tomato.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Until next time, Kris