Flank steak is so versatile. You can make it to eat on it’s own with vegetables or any side you choose, and it also is wonderful used in fajitas, tacos, or burritos. Last night, I chose to make it served with steamed broccoli and sautéd cherry tomatoes – which also made for a healthy and low carb dinner. Flank steak is one steak I will eat because it is very lean and not high in calories.
I like to squeeze the juice of lemons, limes, or oranges onto my meats instead of always brushing them with olive oil. Last night, I squeezed the juice of two limes and one orange over the flank steak before adding my seasoning rub onto the steak.
To a small glass dish, I added kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. I mixed the seasonings together and rubbed half of it on the bottom half of the steak and the other half on the top. I also made sure to brush any of the seasonings that made it to the bottom of the dish onto the flank steak.
I only had time to marinate the steak for a couple of hours, but you could definitely marinate this overnight if you’d like, as it will only intensify the flavors the longer you marinate. My husband and I decided to head out and about yesterday afternoon, which is my reason for not marinating it longer than two hours. I placed the steak in the refrigerator and pulled it out a half hour before I was ready to grill it on my indoor grill pan.
Before placing the steak on my grill pan, I brushed one tablespoon of olive oil onto the pan and let it heat up. It took 8 minutes per side to reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Once the steak was done, I removed it to a cutting board, covered it loosely with foil and let it rest 10 minutes before serving. In this time, I sautéd some cherry tomatoes and steamed a head of broccoli.
Dennis said this was “melt in your mouth flank steak”. We really enjoyed how this steak tasted. It had a lot of flavor, and not one of the seasonings stood out more than any other.
Dennis enjoyed the leftovers for lunch today and said it was just as good as last night.
1-1/2 pound flank steak
2 limes (juice of)
1 orange (juice of)
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place flank steak in a shallow dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Set aside.
- Squeeze limes and orange over both sides of the steak.
- Rub half of the seasonings on each side of the steak. Place in refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours up to overnight.
- Remove steak from fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat oil on indoor grill pan (or on your outdoor grill grates if you are grilling outside).
- Grill steak 6-8 minutes per side, until internal temperature of 145 is reached.
- Place steak on a cutting board and cover loosely with foil to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Until next time, Kris
2 Comments Add yours
Oh my that looks so good! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much! 🙂